Aberdeen 0 – 2 Hibernian


Managerless Hibernian finally brought some cheer to the Easter Road faithful as they put a jaded-looking Aberdeen side to the sword and lifted themselves off the bottom of the Scottish Premiership.

With both sides involved in European action on Thursday night, it was perhaps predictable that substitutes would make a difference with Hibs scorers, Adam Le Fondre and Christian Doidge, both coming off the bench to earn a 2-0 win.

That was the Edinburgh club’s first league victory of the season and saw them climb above both St Johnstone and Aberdeen in the table.

Winless Aberdeen set out positively and after just two minutes they passed up a golden opportunity as Jamie McGrath’s cross from the left was headed over by Nicky Devlin from close range.

But the visitors, who sacked Lee Johnson after losing their opening three league matches, grew into the game and were unlucky not to go ahead when Will Fish, on loan from Manchester United, rose highest to meet Joe Newell’s free-kick from the right, but he headed over the bar.

Lewis Miller and Luis Lopes vie for possession
Lewis Miller and Luis Lopes vie for possession

McGrath was again involved when Aberdeen threatened again on the half-hour, this time his cross seeking out Luis ‘Duk’ Lopes at the back post, but he was crowded out by the Hibs defence.

It was the home side who were left to breathe a sigh of relief five minutes later, Elie Youan’s strong run down the left creating an opening for Martin Boyle, but this time it was the Aberdeen defence who rallied to block his effort.

And the Dons created a final first-half effort, as Connor Barron crossed for Bojan Miovski, but Josh Campbell was well-placed to block.

The second half continued in similar fashion, with both sides looking vulnerable at the back.

Aberdeen's Kelle Roos saves from Elie Youan
Aberdeen’s Kelle Roos saves from Elie Youan

Newell flashed a shot wide for Hibs, while at the other end Miovski headed over from a Devlin cross.

The Dons thought they had won a penalty after 56 minutes when Duk fell under the challenge of Lewis Miller, but after a lengthy VAR check, no spot-kick was given.

And they were denied an opener just after the hour, when David Marshall produced a stunning save at full stretch to keep out substitute Ester Sokler’s effort, the goalkeeper seeming to be in slow motion as he threw himself across his goal.

That save proved to be even more crucial as Hibs took the lead with 15 minutes remaining, with two substitutes involved.

Doidge swung in a cross which Newell knocked down for Le Fondre, and the veteran striker curled past a helpless Kelle Roos.

And five minutes later, Doidge added a second for the visitors, heading home from close range after his initial header from a corner had come off the crossbar.

What’s next?

The Scottish Premiership takes an international break with Aberdeen returning to action away to Hearts on September 16.

Hibernian are away to Kilmarnock on the same day. Both games kick-off at 3pm.


Source link

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Scroll to Top