England fast bowler Jofra Archer has signed a contract extension with Sussex after recovering from a long-term elbow injury that kept him out all summer.
The length of the extension has not been revealed, as is usual in Sussex, but it will keep the 28-year-old at the county he first joined in 2016.
Archer took 181 first-class wickets for Sussex, and his form in all formats has seen him become one of England’s most exciting bowlers.
He made his Test debut against Australia in the second Ashes Test in 2019, but it was his performance in the World Cup earlier that year that raised his profile in cricket around the world.
Archer was England’s leading wicket-taker in the tournament with 20, and was famous for his superlative bowling which resulted in England lifting the cup against New Zealand for the first time.
His career has been plagued by injuries in the last few years, with an elbow injury in 2021 followed by a stress fracture in his back ruling him out of the entire 2022 English season.
Archer returned to the international squad for the ODI series against South Africa in January this year, but was ruled out for the entire summer in May due to a stress fracture in his right elbow.
“We are all really looking forward to seeing him back playing,” said Sussex coach Farbrace, who was a former assistant coach with England at the time of Archer’s international debut.
“He is a great professional and someone to have around the team when he is with us.”
Regarding his decision to stay at Sussex, Archer said: “There is no place I would rather be, it is a beautiful club with even more beautiful people.”
After his recent long spell out of action, Archer has recently resumed bowling under the supervision of the England medical team, with a view to making England’s World Cup squad as a reserve.
Watch England v New Zealand in the fourth and final ODI live on Sky Sports on September 15.